Department Of Building Surveying
Building Surveying is a rapidly growing profession in Malaysia and its services are highly needed in all economics and development situation. Its scope begins from the very early stage of planning a development project to construction management, maintenance and up to conservation of historical and architecturally important building. To address the shortage of professional Building Surveyors in the country, Building Surveying Programme at undergraduate level was introduced in the University of Malaya (UM) in 1995. This programme is recognized locally and internationally by professional bodies i.e Royal Institution of Surveyors Malaysia (RISM), Association of Building Engineers (ABE), UK and The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), UK. The degree can also be pursued at higher learning institutions abroad especially in United Kingdom, Australia, Hong Kong and New Zealand or through professional examination conducted by the Institution of Surveyors Malaysia.
In the Malaysian context, a professional Building Surveyor is a qualified person, by examination and experience, and a member of the Institution of Surveyors Malaysia. The main roles and responsibility of a Building Surveyor in Malaysia as prescribed by the Institution of Surveyors Malaysia covers the following areas:
· Building Control
· Maintenance & Conservation of Building
· Building Performance and Audit
Career as a professional Building Surveyor includes every aspect of a building life cycle from its planning stage to restoration, demolition and redevelopment. A competent Building Surveyor will be able to manage, organize, monitor, assess and coordinate construction works while acting as the main link to other professional services in the construction industry.
A qualified Building Surveyor can work at Government/Semi-Government Departments such as Local Authorities, higher learning institutions (both public and private) or at private sector organisations such as developers, financial and banking institutions, consultant firms, insurance companies and research organisations.
To produce ethically and professionally competence surveyors who are able to function effectively as members of the construction and property industry and able to face technological and managerial challenges in the national and global context
Programme Learning Outcomes
At the end of the programme, graduates are able to:
1. Understand technical knowledge and good management in building surveying works
2. Carry out building surveying services using equipment and proper procedure taking into
account sustainable aspects and laws
3. Apply social skills and responsibilities in the public interest within the construction industry
and real estate sector.
4. Deliver building surveying work in a professional manner and with appropriate ethics
5. Effectively communicate, enable teamwork and show leadership qualities
6. Solve problems through objective analytical and scientific skills
7. Understand building life cycle and information management
8. Use experience and entrepreneurship to deliver effective consultancy